CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meat of Gor

Go down

Meat of Gor Empty Meat of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Sa-Tassna in the Gorean language literally means 'life mother'. It is synonymous with the word meat.
---Tarnsman of Gor, p 43

Bosk
Similar to earth's beef.

The meat was a steak cut from the loin, a huge shaggy long horned bovine, meat is seared, as thick as the forearm of a Warrior on a small iron grill on a kindling of charcoal cylinders so that the thin margin on the outside was black, crisp and flaky sealed within by the touch of the fire-the blood rich flesh hot and fat with juice
---Outlaw of Gor, p 45

The bosk, without which the Wagon Peoples could not live, is an ox like creature. It is a huge, shambling animal, with a thick, humped neck and long, shaggy hair. Not only does the flesh of the bosk and the milk of its cows furnish the Wagon Peoples with food and drink, but its hides cover the domelike wagons in which they dwell; its tanned and sewn skin cover their bodies
---Nomads of Gor, pp 4-5

Gant
Similar to the earthen duck, gant is a staple of the rence people who inhabit the Delta of the Vosk.

I heard a bird some forty or fifty yards to my right; it sounded like a marsh gant, a small, horned, web-footed aquatic fowl, broad-billed and broad-winged. Marsh girls, the daughters of Rence growers, sometimes hunt them with throwing sticks.
---Raiders of Gor, p 4

Kailiauk
A large herd animal described as if a relative of the bosk. The kailiauk is to the Red Savages much what the bosk is to the Nomads of the Plains. A short-trunked variety is mentioned as living on the Southern Plains. Its meat is a main staple of the Red Savages, and prepared in a variety of ways, including dried in strips for jerky and the making of pemmican.

"The red savages depend for their very lives on the kailiauk" said Kog. "He is the major source of their food and life.His meat and hide, his bones and sinew, sustain them. From him they derive not only food but clothing and shelter, tools and weapons.
---Savages of Gor, p 50

Strips of kailiauk meat, thinly sliced and dried on poles in the sun, are pounded fine, almost to a powder. Crushed fruit, usually chokecherries, is then added to the meat. The whole, then, is mixed with, and fixed by, kailiauk fat, subsequently, usually, being divided into small, flattish, rounded cakes. The fruit sugars make this, in its way, a quick energy food, while the meat, of course, supplies valuable, long lasting stamina protein. This, like the dried meat, or jerky, from which it is made, can be eaten either raw or cooked. It is not uncommon for both to be carried in hunting or on war parties. Children will also carry it in their play. The thin slicing of the meat not only abets its preservation, effected by time, the wind and sun, but makes it impractical for flies to lay their eggs in it. Jerky and pemmican, which is usually eaten cooked in the villages, is generally boiled. In these days a trade pot or kettle is normally used. In the old days it was prepared by stone-boiling.
---Blood Brothers of Gor, 4:46

Tabuk ...
One horned berry eating antelope known for the sweetness of its meat. Note below, the differences between the Northern tabuk and his more Southern cousin.

Gripped in the talons of the tarn was the dead body of an antelope, one of the one-horned, yellow antelopes called tabuks that frequent the bright Ka-la-na thickets of Gor.
---Tarnsman of Gor, p 145

They were northern tabuk, massive, tawny and swift; many of them ten hands at the shoulder, a quite different animal from the small, yellow-pelted antelope-like quadruped of the south. On the other hand, they too were distinguished by the single horn of the tabuk. On these animals, however, that object, in swirling ivory, was often, at its base, some two and one half inches in diameter, and better than a yard in length. A charging tabuk, because of the swiftness of its reflexes, is quite a dangerous animal.
---Beasts of Gor, p 152

Tarsk ...
Akin to the earthen pig, a staple in the diet of rence growers.

Before the feast I had helped the women, cleaning fish and dressing marsh gants, and then, later, turning spits for the roasted tarsks, roasted over rence-root fires, kept on metal pans, elevated above the rence of the islands by metal racks, themselves resting on larger pans.
---Raiders of Gor, p 44

if I were lucky, a slice of roast tarsk, the formidable six tusked wild boar of Gor’s temperate forests.
---Assassin of Gor, p 87

Tumit ...
Large carnivorous flightless bird of the southern plains, hunted and eaten by the Wagon People.

I gathered that the best time to hunt tumits, the large flightless, carnivourous birds of the southern plains, was at hand
---Nomads of Gor, p 331

Verr ...
A herd mammal that ressembles the earthen goats. It is raised also for consumption of its milk, used to make cheeses and butter.

In the cafes, I had feasted well. I had had verr meat, cut in chunks and threaded on a metal rod
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 48

Vulo ...
A pigeon like bird from which Goreans obtain small eggs. The bird itself is also eaten much like chicken would be. The brains of the vulo are a delicacy as well.

She had been carrying a wicker basket containing vulos, a domesticated pigeon raised for eggs and meat
---Nomads of Gor, p 1

It is the spiced brain of the Turian vulo, Saphrar explained. I shot the spiced brain into my mouth on the tip of a golden eating prong
---Nomads of Gor, p 83

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum