CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sugars and Spices of Gor

Go down

Sugars and Spices of Gor Empty Sugars and Spices of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Sugar and spice

Candy

He yelled something raucous and ribald. It had to do with tastas or stick candies. These are not candies, incidentally, like sticks, as for example, licorice or peppermint sticks, but soft, rounded, succulent candies, usually covered with a coating of syrup or fudge, rather in the nature of the caramel apple, but much smaller, and, like a caramel apple, mounted on sticks. the candy is prepared and the stick, from the bottom, is thrust up, deeply, into it. It is then ready to be eaten.
---Dancer of Gor, p 81

Honey
No specific 'Gorean' description offered, it is mentioned both in far North and far South areas of Gor.

I saw small fruit trees, and hives, where honey bees were raised; and there were small sheds, here and there, with sloping roofs of boards; in some such sheds might craftsmen work, in others fish might be dried or butter made.
---Marauders of Gor, p 81

Mint Sticks

On the tray too, was the metal vessel which contained black wine, steaming and bitter from far Thentis, famed for its tarn flocks, the small yellow-enamled cups from which we had drunk the black wine, its spoons and sugars, a tiny bowl of mint sticks, and the softened, dampened cloths on which we had wiped our fingers.
---Explorers of Gor, p 10

Mushrooms
No specific 'Gorean' description offered.

I was particularly fond of stuffed mushrooms. "What are they stuffed with?" I asked Hurtha. "Sausage." he said. "Tarsk?" I asked. "Of course." he said.
---Mercenaries of Gor, p 83

Pastries
Mentioned on numerous occasion as simply 'pastries', the usual qualities found in Earth made pastries are pretty much used as descriptives.

Salt
White salt from the mines of Klima, or the red salt of Kasra, also from the Tahari desert which is the source of most salt on Gor with the exception of the Torvaldslanders who gather it from the sea. Salt on Gor, comes in various colors among which white, yellow and red are mentioned.

Most salt at Klima is white, but certain of the mines deliver red salt, red from the ferrous oxide in its composition, which is called the Red Salt of Kasra, after its port of embarkation, at the juncture of the Upper and Lower Fayeen.
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 238

Salt, incidentally, is obtained by the men of Torvaldsland, most commonly, from sea water or the burning of seaweed. It is also, however, a trade commodity, and is sometimes taken in raids. the red and yellow salts of the south, some of which I saw on the tables, are not domestic to Torvaldsland
---Marauders of Gor, pp 186-187

It had been expected, I gathered, that I would sit at one of the two long side tables, and perhaps even below the bowls of red and yellow salt which divided these tables. The table of Cernus itself, of course, was regarded as being above the bowls.
---Assassin of Gor, p 89

Spices

"Do you smell it?" asked Ulafi. "Yes," I said. "It is cinnamon and cloves, is it not?" "Yes," said Ulafi, "and other spices, as well."
---Explorers of Gor p 98

Sugar
There is mention on many occasions of colored sugar though the only two actually described are the white and yellow 'Turian' sugar.

There was a brass ladle that Aphris and Elizabeth had used in cooking and a tin box of yellow Turian sugar ...
---Nomads of Gor, 23

With a tiny spoon, its tip no more than a tenth of a hort in diameter, she placed four measures of white sugar, and six of yellow in the cup
---Tribesmen of Gor, p 89

Lola now returned to the small table and, kneeling head down, served us our desert, slices of topsit, sprinkled with four Gorean sugars.
---Rogue of Gor, p 132

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum