CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Odd foods of Gor

Go down

Odd foods of Gor Empty Odd foods of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Pemmican
High energy food mixture of the Red Savages, made mainly of dried kailiauk meat and fruit.

'Wakapapi,' said Cuwignaka to me. This is the Kaiila word for pemmican. A soft cake of this substance was pressed into my hands. I crumbled it. In the winter, of course, such cakes can be frozen solid. One then breaks them into smaller pieces, warms them in one's hands and mouth, and eats them bit by bit. I lifted the crumbled pemmican to my mouth and ate of it. There are various ways in which pemmican may be prepared, depending primarily on what one adds to the mixture, in the way of herbs, seasonings and fruit. A common way of preparing it is as follows. Strips of kailiauk meat, thinly sliced and dried on poles in the sun, are pounded fine, almost to a powder. Crushed fruit, usually chokecherries, is then added to the meat. The whole, then, is mixed with, and fixed by, kailiauk fat, subsequently, usually, being divided into small, flattish, rounded cakes. The fruit sugars make this, in its way, a quick energy food, while the meat, of course, supplies valuable, long lasting stamina protein. This, like the dried meat, or jerky, from which it is made, can be eaten either raw or cooked. It is not uncommon for both to be carried in hunting or on war parties. Children will also carry it in their play. The thin slicing of the meat not only abets its preservation, effected by time, the wind and sun, but makes it impractical for flies to lay their eggs in it. Jerky and pemmican, which is usually eaten cooked in the villages, is generally boiled. In these days a trade pot or kettle is normally used. In the old days it was prepared by stone-boiling.
---Blood Brothers of Gor, 4:46

Popsicles?? ...

The High Initiate had risen to his feet and accepted a goblet from another Initiate, probably containing minced flavored ices, for the day was warm.

Free women, here and there, were delicately putting tidbits beneath their veils. Some even lifted their veils somewhat to drink of the flavored ices. Some low-caste free women drank through their veils, and there were yellow and purple stains on the rep-cloth.
---Assassin of Gor, p 141

Rence paste and cakes ...
Rence is a plant of the marshes of the Vosk's Delta. The plant is mainly used in the production of paper for trade, but to rencers, rence has unlimited other uses, including food. The pith of the rence plant, (center of the stem) is made into a paste, fried into cakes and used in the making of rence beer.

I had carried about bowls of cut, fried fish, and wooden trays of roasted tarsk meat, and roasted gants, threaded on sticks, and rence cakes and porridges, and gourd flagons, many times replenished, of rence beer.
---Raiders of Gor, p 44

Slave gruel ...
A mixture of Sa-Tarna grain, suplements, scraps and water fed to slaves. In Torvaldsland, raw pieces of parsit fish are added to the gruel, in other areas it is easy to imagine whatever was the local staple would be part of this slave 'porridge'..

The bond-maids did not much care for their gruel, unsweetened, mud-like Sa-Tarna meal; with raw fish.
---Marauders of Gor, p 65

Sullage ...
Gorean vegetable soup.

First she boiled and simmered a kettle of Sullage, a common Gorean soup consisting of three standard ingredients, and, as it is said, whatever else may be found, saving only the rocks of the field. The principal ingredients of Sullage are the golden Sul, …the curled, red, ovate leaves of the Tur-Pah, a tree parasite,… and the salty, blue secondary roots of the Kes shrub
---Priest Kings of Gor, p 45

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum