CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insects of Gor

Go down

Insects of Gor Empty Insects of Gor

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Ant, Marcher
Known in the jungles of Schendi as \'The Marchers\' are these carnivorous insects, very aggressive. Each ant measures about 2 inches long having a shiny black exoskeleton and two antennae. Their name is derived from their, apparently seasonal, marches through the jungle. They march in a single column, yards wide and pasangs in length. They number possibly in the millions, their path's widening to as much as 500 feet when they overtake, swarm over, and devour all flesh, living or dead, in their path. Their bite is extremely painful, but not poisonous. Their victims die from being weakened from relentless attack. Tarl Cabot and the small men, led a column of Marchers baiting them with fresh meat and weaving like a whispering black snake through the jungle the ants overran an encampment of the Mamba people, Cabot's intended target.

“The marchers,” said the leader of the small men, pointing.
The hair on the back of my neck rose.
I saw now that the sound was the sound of millions upon millions of tiny feet, treading upon the leaves and fallen debris of the jungle floor. Too, there may have been, mixed in that sound, the almost infinitesimal sound, audible only in its cumulative effect, of the rubbings and clickings of the joints of tiny limbs and the shiftings and adjustments of tiny, black, shiny exoskeletons, those stiff casings of the segments of their tiny bodies.”
Explorers of Gor page 47

Arthropod
A creature found in the tunnels of the Nest of the Priest-Kings. It is 8 feet long and a yard high with a multi-segmented body and 8 legs its two eyes waving on long stalks

“At that moment to my horror a large, perhaps eight feet long and a yard high, multilegged, segmented arthropod scuttled near, its eyes weaving on stalks.”
Priest Kings of Gor

Beetle
Found in the canopy level of the rainforests of Schendi.

“Here, too, may be found snakes and monkeys, gliding urts, leaf urts, squirrels, climbing, long-tailed porcupines, lizards, sloths, and the usual varieties of insects, ants, centipedes, scorpions, beetles and flies, and so on.”
Explorers of Gor page 311

Centipede
Found in the canopy level of the Schendi rainforest.

“Here, too, may be found snakes and monkeys, gliding urts, leaf urts, squirrels, climbing, long-tailed porcupines, lizards, sloths, and the usual varieties of insects, ants, centipedes, scorpions, beetles and flies, and so on.”

Flies
Found in the rainforests of Schendi.

Explorers of Gor page 313

Gitch
A biting insect

“We watched a large, oblong, flat-bodied black object, about ah half hort in length, with long feelers, hurry toward a crack at the base of the wall. "That is a roach," he said. "They are harmless, not like the gitches whose bites are rather painful. Some of them are big fellows, too. But there aren't many of them around. The frevets see to it. Achiates prides himself on a clean house.”
Mercenaries of Gor page 277

Golden Beetle
An insect approximately the size of a rhinoceros, inhabits the caverns below the Nest of the Priest-Kings in the Sardar Mountains where it preys on Priest Kings themselves. It releases an aroma and exudate which is so compelling to a Priest-King that to die by that method is referred to as succumbing to the Pleasures of the Golden Beetle

“The Golden Beetle was not nearly as tall as a Priest-King, but it was probably considerably heavier. It was about the size of a rhinoceros and the first thing I noticed after the glowing eyes were two multiply hooked, tubular, hollow, pincher-like extensions that met at the tips perhaps a yard beyond its body. They seemed clearly some aberrant mutation of its jaws. Its antennae, unlike those of Priest-Kings, were very short. They curved and were tipped with a fluff of golden hair. Most strangely perhaps were several long, golden strands, almost a mane, which extended from the creature’s head over its domed, golden back and fell almost to the floor behind it. The back itself seemed divided into two thick casings which might once, ages before, have been horny wings, but now the tissues had, at the points of touching together, fused in such a way as to form what was for all practical purposes a thick, immobile golden shell. The creature’s head was even now withdrawn beneath the shell but its eyes were clearly visible and of course the extensions of its jaws.”
Priest Kings of Gor page 180

Grasshopper
A small red insect

“A grasshopper, red, the size of a horned gim, a small, owllike bird, some four ounces in weight, common in the northern latitudes, had leaped near the fire, and disappeared into the brush.”
Explorers of Gor page 293

Leech, Salt
Another variety of leech, mentioned but once in the Books

“I flicked a salt leach from the side of my light rush craft with the corner of the tem-wood paddle.”
Raiders of Gor page 5

Leech, Marsh
Described as rubbery about 4 inches long; it attaches itself to plants in the marsh or float free in the water, waiting for warm blooded animals. They fasten themselves to their victim to suck blood until, satiated, they detach. They can be removed with fire or salt. They are edible.
Vagabonds of Gor, page 236

Lice, Tarn
Marble sized parasites that infest wild tarns.

“I withdrew some of the lice, the size of marbles, which tend to infest the wild tarns, and slapped them roughly into the mouth of the tarn, wiping them off on his tongue.” Tarnsman of Gor

Needle Fly
Also known as sting flies, these originate in the delta and similar places. Its sting is extremely painful but it is not dangerous unless inflicted in great numbers.
Vagabonds of Gor page 161

Rennels
Poisonous, crab-like desert insects.

“...that once an army of a thousand wagons turned aside because a swarm of rennels, poisonous, crablike desert insects, did not defend its broken nest.”
Nomads of Gor page 27

Rock Spider
An inhabitant of the lower level of the Schendi rainforests, this brown or black spider camouflages itself by tucking legs under its body to look like a rock hence its name; it is approximately one foot in diameter and will catch small rodents or birds in its web.

“I looked down. The web was now trembling. Approaching her now, moving swiftly across the web, was a gigantic rock spider. It was globular, hairy, brown and black, some eight feet in thickness. It had pearly eyes and black, side-hinged jaws.”
Explorers of Gor page 390 – 391

“This afternoon, late, when we had come inland, almost in the dusk, she had become entangled in the web of a rock spider, a large one. They are called rock spiders because of their habit of holding their legs folded beneath them. This habit, and their size and coloration, usually brown and black, suggests a rock, and hence the name.”
Explorers of Gor page 294

Salamander
An inhabitant of the brine pits of the salt mines of the Tahari, they are white and blind with long stemlike legs with fern-like filaments which are feather gills.

“Among the lefts, too, were, here and there, tiny salamanders, they, too, white and blind. Like the lefts, They were, for their size, long-bodied, were capable of long periods of dormancy and possessed a slow metabolism, useful in an environment in which food is not plentiful. Unlike the lefts they had long, stemlike legs. At first I had taken them for lelts, skittering about the rafts, even to the fernlike filaments at the sides of their head, but these filaments, in the case of the salamanders, interestingly, are not vibration receptors but feather gills, an external gill system.”
Tribesmen of Gor

Sand Flies

“Following such rains, great clouds of sand flies appear, wakened from dormancy. These feast on kaiila and men. Normally, flying insects are found only in the vicinity of the oases.”
Tribesmen of Gor page 152

Scorpion
Found in the canopy level of the rainforest.

Slime Worm
A long slow blind worm which inhabits the caverns below the Nest in the Sardar; scavenges the remains of the Golden Beetles kills

“What approached was not another Golden Beetle, though I supposed there might have been several in those tunnels, but another inhabitant of those dismal passages, the whitish, long, slow, blind Slime Worm.”
Priest Kings of Gor page 186

Snail
Much like the snails on Earth these are small slug-like creatures living inside of thin shells in the waters. often they are trapped with water inside the bilge of a ship.

“Once the Forkbeard went to her and taught her to check the scoop, with her left hand, for snails, that they not be thrown overboard. Returning to Me, He held one of the snails, whose shell He crushed between His fingers, and sucked out the animal, chewing and swallowing it. He then threw the shell fragments overboard. “They are edible,” He said, “and We use them for fish bait.”
Marauders of Gor pg 62

Sting Flies (Needle Flies)
Originate in the delta and similar places. It's sting is extremely painful but it is usually not dangerous unless inflicted in great numbers.

Swamp Spiders
Man-sized arachnids (Spider People) found in the swampland near Ar; they can communicate in human speech via the mechanical translators they wear around their abdomens; they spin Curlon Fiber which is used in the textile mills of Ar

“My flesh adhered to the adhesive substance of the broad strands. Approaching me, stepping daintily for all its bulk, prancing over the strands, came one of the Swamp Spiders of Gor. I fastened my eyes on the blue sky, wanting it to be the last thing I looked upon. I shuddered as the beast paused near me, and I felt the light stroke of its forelegs, felt the tactile investigation of the sensory hairs on its appendages. I looked at it, and it peered down, with its four pairs of pearly eyes - quizzically, I thought.”
Tarnsman of Gor

Termite (white ant)
An insect found in the rainforests of Schendi

“It lived on the white ants, or termites, of the vicinity.” Explorers of Gor page 293
“Termites, incidentally, are extremely important to the ecology of the forest. In their feeding they break down and destroy the branches and trunks of fallen trees. The termite “dust,” thereafter, by the action of bacteria, is reduced to humus, and the humus to nitrogen and mineral materials.”
Explorers of Gor page 312

Vint
Tiny, sand-colored insects found in the Tahari Desert.

“Vints, insects, tiny, sand-colored, covered them: On the same rinds, taking and eating vints, were two small cell spiders.”
Tribesmen of Gor

Zarlit
Large, harmless, purple insect about two feet long with 4 long, translucent wings, with a span of about a yard. It is able to walk on top of water because of it's padlike feet and feeds on small insects.

“I did see a large, harmless zarlit fly, purple, about two feet long with four translucent wings, spanning about a yard, humming over the surface of the water then alighting and, on it's padlike feet, daintily picking its way across the surface.”
Raiders of Gor

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum