CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quotes of Warriors

Go down

Quotes of Warriors Empty Quotes of Warriors

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 pm

"On the other hand, the High Castes, specifically the Warriors, Builders, Scribes, Initiates, and Physicians, were told the truth in such matters, perhaps because it was thought they would eventually determine it for themselves, from observations such as the shadow of their planet on one or another of Gor's three small moons during eclipses, the phenomenon of sighting the tops of distant objects first, and the fact that certain stars could not be seen from certain geographical positions; if the planet had been flat, precisely the same set of stars would have been observable from every position on its surface." --Tarnsman of Gor, page 27

"The tier nearest the floor, which denoted some preferential status, the white tier, was occupied by Initiates, Interpreters of the Will of the Priest-Kings. In order, the ascending tiers, blue, yellow, green, and red, were occupied by representatives of the Scribes, Builders, Physicians, and Warriors." --Tarnsman of Gor, page 44

"I was pleased to note that my own caste, that of the Warriors, was accorded the least status..." --Tarnsman of Gor, page 44

"'Do not harm him,' said Kazrak. 'He is my sword brother, Tarl of Bristol.' Kazrak's remark was in accord with the strange warrior codes of Gor, codes which were as natural to him as the air he breathed, and codes which I, in the Chamber of the Council of Ko-ro-ba, had sworn to uphold. One who has shed your blood, or whose blood you have shed, becomes your sword brother, unless you formally repudiate the blood on your weapons. It is a part of the kinship of Gorean warriors regardless of what city it is to which they owe their allegiance. It is a matter of caste, an expression of respect for those who share their station and profession, having nothing to do with cities or Home Stones." --Tarnsman of Gor, page 93

"In it I found the scarlet tunic, sandals and cloak which constitute the normal garb of a member of the Caste of Warriors." --Outlaw of Gor, page 11

"I am of the Caste of Warriors, and it is in our codes that the only death fit for a man is that in battle, but I can no longer believe that this is true, for the man I met once on the road to Ko-ro-ba died well, and taught me that all wisdom and truth does not lie in my own codes." --Priest-Kings of Gor, page 7

"Probably her caste had been that of the Builders or Physicians, for had her people been Scribes I would have expected a greater subtlety of inflections, the use of less common grammatical cases; and had her people been of the Warriors I would have expected a blunter speech, rather belligerently simple, expressed in great reliance on the indicative mood and, habitually, a rather arrogant refusal to venture beyond the most straightforward of sentence structures. " --Priest-Kings of Gor, page 48

"'Yes,' laughed Verna, 'according to the codes of the warriors and by the rites of the city of Ar, no longer is Talena kin or daughter of Marlenus of Ar.'" --Hunters of Gor, page 144

"In the codes of the warriors, there is a saying: 'Be strong, and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits.'" --Marauders of Gor, page 10

"'I would not have thought Sarus of Tyros would have used poisoned steel,' I said. Such a device, like the poisoned arrow, was not only against the codes of the warriors, but, generally, was regarded as unworthy of men. Poison was regarded as a woman's weapon." --Marauders of Gor, pages 19-20

"It was not regarded as dignified for a warrior to be too expert with letters, such being a task beneath warriors. To have a scribe's skills would tend to embarrass a man of arms, and tend to lower his prestige among his peers. Many of the north, then, were rather proud of their illiteracy, or semi-illiteracy. It was expected of them. It honored them. His tools were not the pen and parchment, but the sword, the bow, the ax and spear." --Marauders of Gor, page 243

"Sword loyalty is a bond of fidelity sworn to the Ubar. Gorean warriors seldom break this bond. It is not sworn lightly. It is sworn only to those who are thought fit to be Ubar. When the Ubar is thought to be unfit, it is thought, too, he has dishonored the pledge of sword loyalty. It is not then uncommon for him to die beneath the steel of his outraged men." --Slave Girl of Gor, page 122

"Little love is lost betwixt the castes of warriors and assassins. Each deems himself the superior of, and the natural foe, of the other. The sword of the warrior, commonly, is pledged to a Home Stone, that of the assassin to gold and the knife." --Beasts of Gor, page 136

"'Do you think I cannot tell one Kur from another?' I asked. Warriors are trained in acute observation and retention. The recognition and comprehension of a detail, sometimes subtle, can sometimes make a difference between life and death." --Beasts of Gor, page 351-352

"Here we might note a distinction between laws and codes. In the codes of the warriors, if a warrior accepts a woman as a slave, it is prescribed that, at least for a time, an amount of time up to his discretion, she be spared. If she should be the least bit displeasing, of course, or should prove recalcitrant in even a tiny way, she may be immediately disposed of." --Players of Gor, page 17

"'The 97th Aphorism in the Codes I was taught,' I said, 'is in the form of a riddle: What is invisible but more beautiful than diamonds?'
'And the answer?' inquired Labienus.
'That which is silent but deafens thunder.'
The men regarded one another.
'And what is that?' asked Labienus.
'The same,' said I, 'as that which depresses no scale but is weightier than gold.'
'And what is that?' asked Labienus.
'Honor,' I said." --Vagabonds of Gor, page 306

Back to top Go down