CityofFina
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Government of Red Savages

Go down

Government of Red Savages Empty Government of Red Savages

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 10:17 pm

"In the beliefs of the red savages the welfare of the whole, that of the tribe, takes precedence over the welfare of the individual. In the thinking of the red savages the right to diminish the community does not lie within the prerogatives of the individual."
"Blood Brothers of Gor" page 11

Civil Chiefs

"Among the red savages there are various sorts of chief. The primary types of chief are the war chief, the medicine chief and the civil chief. One may be, interestingly, only one sort of chief at a time. This, like the rotation of police powers among warrior societies, is a portion of the checks and balances, so to speak, which tend to characterize tribal governance. Other checks and balanced are such things as tradition and custom, the closeness of the governed and the governors, multiple-family inter-relatedness, the election of chiefs, the submission of significant matters to a council, and ultimately, the feasibility of simply leaving the group in greater or lesser numbers."
"Blood Brothers of Gor" page 18

"Three or four abreast, in long lines, lead by their civil chief, Watonka, One-Who-Is-Rich, and subchiefs and high warriors, the Isanna entered the camp of the Isbu."
"Blood Brothers of Gor" page 25

"“How could one be more important among my people than to be a civil chieftain of a rich band?” asked Cuwignaka.
“To become, I suppose, a high chief of all the bands,” I said, “a chief of the tribe, as a whole.”
“But there are no first chiefs, no high chiefs, among Kaiila, except maybe, sometime, a war chief,” said Cuwignaka. “It is not our way.”
"Blood Brothers of Gor" page 206

War Chiefs

"Most tribes had several warrior societies These societies had much influence within the tribes and on an alternating basis to preclude any one society from becoming predominant a good deal of power. Their members were expected to set an example in war and the hunt."
"Savages of Gor" page 260
"Warrior Societies in the tribes have many functions The are a significant component of tribal existence. Such societies on an alternating basis do such things as keep order in the camps and on the treks. They function too as guards and police. It is part of their function too to keep the tribes apprised as to the movements of kailiauk and to organize and police tribal hunts. Such societies too it might be noted are useful in various social ways. They provide institutions through which merit can be recognized and rewarded and tribal traditions freshened maintained and renewed. The preserve medicine bundles keep ceremonies and teach histories. It is common for them to give feasts and hold dances. Their rivalries provide an outlet for intertribal aggression and the attendant competitions supply an encouragement for effort and a stimulus to excellence. Within the society itself of course the members profit from the values of alliance and camaraderie and friendship. Needless to say each society will have too its own medicines and mysteries."
"Savages of Gor" page 261

"The larger party has done its work and is returning to its home, presumably under the command of a Blotanhunka a war-party leader, usually a fellow of mature and experienced judgment. He exerts control; he commands restraint."
"Savages of Gor" page 249

Medicine Chiefs

'"Cancega seems to be a very important fellow," I said. "He is more important than you understand," said Cuwignaka. "At this time, during the festivals, he is in charge of the whole camp. We listen to him. We do what he says." "He is, then," I said, "at this time, in effect, the chief of all the Kaiila." "I do not think I would put it just that way," said Cuwignaka, somewhat defensively. "The civil chiefs, in deferring to him, are not really relinquishing their power." "I see the distinction," I said,"
"Blood Brothers of Gor" page 34

Go to Top

The Council

"I turned about and looked again at the huge council lodge. The two guards were still a the threshold. Between them, various men were entering. Expected to attend such a council, of couse, on the part of the Kaiila, were not only the civil chieftains of the various bands of the Kaiila but their high men, as well, the councils of the various bands, and trusted warriors, and men of probity and wisdom. Such councils tend to be open to the noble, the proven and worth. In that lodge, this afternoon, would be gathered, for most pracitical purposes, the leadership and aristocracy of the Kaiila nation."
"Blood Brothers of Gor" page 197

Back to top Go down